Author Topic: Buying a bus pirate  (Read 3244 times)

shanghailoz

• Special Member
Buying a bus pirate
« on: January 12, 2011, 02:59:12 PM »
Any ideas where I can buy a Bus Pirate on Taobao or similar?

I've spoken to Seed a few times, and they don't really want to sell stuff in China, and the oversea's places are a bit mafan.
Idea's?

Destroyer

• Administrator
    • Hardcore forensics
Re: Buying a bus pirate
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 06:56:20 AM »
Sorry about the delay on the reply, seems that SMF is not flagging new posts correctly.

Pick one up in Shenzhen or get seeed to post it to you.

seeedstudio

shanghailoz

• Special Member
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011, 09:44:51 AM »
I've tried Seeed, but their system doesn't like my card, so out of luck still I guess.
They don't do taobao either, which would be easier (for me anyway!).

Lawrence.

Destroyer

• Administrator
    • Hardcore forensics
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 11:31:49 PM »
Your in China....
I've been to their office/distribution site, they are not bad and are unlikely to rip you off.(just rather disorganized)

Drop them an email, get the bank account number, cash deposit to their account,email a copy of the deposit slip, then get them to 2 day carrier it up to SH.

Whilst you are at it, try and grab a "Open Workbench Logic Sniffer" (and TWO sets of leads) , and certainly a second Bus pirate
They are great for extracting SPI rom information, even when soldered to a PCB.

Just give the DSO a miss, it is already MORE expensive than the Rigol scope

HC
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 11:34:19 PM by Admin »

shanghailoz

• Special Member
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2011, 07:43:40 PM »
I had called them, and emailed, but they basically don't want to sell me one unless its via the website or thievepal.
Thread here on that - http://www.seeedstudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=984

There are a number of companies like that here - another one is PP3DP, but at least I could use my credit card with their site.
I had to ship my PP3DP 3d printer oversea's so I could buy it.   I could understand if its made for export, and in a special trade zone, but they aren't.  Strange how its easy to get some things here, and not others.
Still, I'm in the minority.  May as well find a board manufacturer, give them the BOM, and make my own damn bus pirate, and sell in my taobao store...  Its competitive enough here for volumes of about 20 units up as you're probably well aware.

I'm just griping though...

I'll eventually have a decent set of tools, despite some vendors best efforts not to sell customers product :)

Next purchase is a lathe for machining stuff.   I've been looking at the Seig stuff for a while now, and am about to take the plunge on that.
Not really sure what I'm doing yet with all these tools, but I like to be flexible in what I can potentially do, so why not.
Also pondering a laser engraver, and some CNC stuff to complete the mad scientist lab that I intend to build myself, then I'm pretty much set to be able to fabricate anything I need for my pet projects. 

Lawrence.

Destroyer

• Administrator
    • Hardcore forensics
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2011, 10:21:03 AM »
yep,
There is 'all sorts' of things going on with Seeed , I had even thought of assembling my own Bus pirate kit and paying a % back to Ian at Dangerous Prototypes(he is the guy who Initially designed the unit).
I'm sure you may be able to 'work out' why they have stopped China bank payments and why shipping is from HK.

I've been in electronic manufacturing in China long enough to know what this actually costs and how a two man team could easily perform a build on 100-200 Pcs.

I'd also been looking at the 3D printers, but i'm going to wait , since HP HP Designjet 3D Printer series-models have their own design and I guess the market price will come down.

I had actually thought about getting rid of all this "heat" bullshit and using a 2 part epoxy resin mix with ejection and tip mixing, possibly even some sort of spray mechanism, that way the resolution would be equivalent to Ink jet printers. (yep ok it is going to take longer for the model , but the resolution and finish would be spot on)

3D Printing is an interesting area that is going to be fraught with copyright issues.

HC