Author Topic: Re: What do you want.........  (Read 2897 times)

kelv

Re: What do you want.........
« on: December 28, 2010, 12:05:03 PM »
Firstly thanks for taking the time to setup the site.
My personal goals are as follows:

Sort the damned touchscreen out, either by screening around the DC-DC converter stage / filter caps on the inputs etc.
Get 3g modem working, to be fair it recognizes the serial port on my Zte MF627, so that may be an OS application / extension of the existing apps.

Longterm, port Gingerbeer to this platform/ play with the Unbuntu image as mobile OS.

All of this is on hold until my replacement touchscreens turn up (it fell of my bench n smashed :-\ )

So to me developing the linux kernel side of things is a must, at least to be able to pull it to bits and release some source.

Keep up the good work :)
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 03:19:12 AM by Admin »

kelv

Re: Re: What do you want.........
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2010, 07:20:10 PM »
Bugger me!, is the touch screen didn't turn up today, 4 days from China to the UK and over the Chistmas period at that!
OK real reason for the post, my screen jitters just got noticeably better after fitting the new "digitizer on a  sticker" to the front bezel, then reassembling.

Now that sounds like popycock to me me, but there was one other thing that I have done and that was replace the crappy earth wire from the screen casing to an earth pad on the power board, which incidentally is different to the ones in your pictures, think most people reffer to them as the Dual speaker model.

Also updated the firmware using the ram image and system images from this site:
http://www.chinadigitalcomm.com/xpad-x8-apad-a8-imx515/apad-imx515-a8-1218-firmware-and-flash-guide-t2106.html

Yes its a bit anarchistic but what the hell I have backups.
It has gmail and market + related stuff, downside for me and a few others is the inversion of the g sensor on the horizontal axis :( but it's now definitely more usable.

Destroyer

• Administrator
    • Hardcore forensics
Re: Re: What do you want.........
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2010, 03:03:37 AM »
Firstly thanks for taking the time to setup the site.
My personal goals are as follows:

Longterm, port Gingerbeer to this platform/ play with the Unbuntu image as mobile OS.

I'm presuming that you don't mean this Gingerbeer  ;), to avoid confusion with some of our non-Native speakers a link will always be appreciated.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 03:13:20 AM by Admin »

kelv

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2010, 01:13:58 PM »
lmao, you would have thought it would have been registered by a fizzy drinks company :D
Sorry, Android "Gingerbread" , too many things to do, not enough time to think.
Its funny I'm looking at a BT module on my desk as I type, god bless the local pound shop.
My colleague at work has a brilliant camera that seems to pickup IC's markings with ease,
so a different camera might help you get a better reading off the chip markings.

I2c or spi would be ideal for this, take it no one has actually managed to get hold of the schematic for the main
cpu board yet? 

Ended up using yet another Firmware from Pandawill's site sorted the gravity issue and Market/gmail.
I'll post a link if anyones interested / doesn't know about it already.

Grabbed the sdk / Git,  imx_kernel and FSL's patches myself, haven't bolted it all together yet, thought I'd wait till you had managed to patch it ;) (c_patch is being a pain for me.)

The more I look into this device the more it seem's there is only one guy in china thats writing the firmware for all the different versions of this device.

Destroyer

• Administrator
    • Hardcore forensics
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2010, 10:16:20 PM »

Many of these 'chips' have been laser etched and re-branded.  Getting the numbers off is not a problem since I can drop back to my Stereo microscope, at 800x sometimes you can 'pick out the old marking.

As for the schematics, I need to write a letter to  the guys dealing with the PCB's, I suspect we are looking at a 4 layer PCB -3 layers+a GND-, but the task of adding hardware would have been made 100 times easier if this material had been available, but that can be said of amy commercial product that is reverse hacked. (from what I can see this site is still ahead of the curve.)

I'm still having issues pulling down a stable file from freescale (see forum ' The construct')

As for 'firmware' , I suspect that one guy has used the freescale pack, with a couple of memory address 'hacks', because if you get a RS232 console on the device , you can see the kernel 'puking' on loads of hardware definitions that are NOT there.

Then a bunch of clowns have taken each partition of various other devices and re-mastered from there, finally as the kernel has rolled forward, they have taken the kernel patches and applied them.
I'm not seeing any major work on this.

Hc.

shanghailoz

• Special Member
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011, 03:50:33 PM »
Its the same for most products I'm starting to realise.

Work out something from the BSP (Board support package), and hack it together in a minimal timeframe and onto the next job.

The hardware guys also don't really talk to the software guys either, which is a shame, as in some devices I'd like to know what the .... they were thinking as things could have been implemented a lot more elegantly if they both spoke to each other.

You did inspire me at least to setup my own site (also ahead of that curve haha) for my ipcam (openipcam.com plug plug!) reverse engineering / hacking stuff.

Freescale has a lot better documentation than others though, they're one of my more favoured chipsets to do stuff on as they do have decent docs freely available.  Most other chipset vendors put stuff under lock and key lest you find out about their product, and heaven forbid, try to use it in an application or something...

My site is still worth a look for the software side of things as I'm talking about lots of the typical problems you see in an embedded project if you haven't done it before.

I think I just get more and more jaded with this stuff as I get older though, even though it is fun to do.

Destroyer

• Administrator
    • Hardcore forensics
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2011, 10:15:37 AM »
Hi,
Good, at least I managed to motivate someone.
The IP camera has some serious potential, there are multiple  business ideas for such a product, and I've ben keeping my eye on the flying drones. (I had a really good link but I lost it, a 4 prop, with onboard  imx515 cpu+sensors)

Several years ago I was strapping  cameras onto the back of various insects, previously I had access to  the physical camera dies and bonding facilities (no external packages with excess weight), at that time I needed a dissertation subject and was considering embedded devices in battle field scenarios.
Now I see one of the major universities in the US has  succeeded in moving research in that field forward.

Yep as i get older, time seems to be speeding up, loads of Ideas, but continually being bogged down with trivial crap to deal with.

HC