Author Topic: Tegra Quad Cores in August - Does this really matter?  (Read 2185 times)

xaueious

• Special Member
Tegra Quad Cores in August - Does this really matter?
« on: March 02, 2011, 04:24:48 AM »
Nvidia is targeting their quadcores for August. And they seem to be on track. I can't say I'm too excited though. The concept of multicore mobile systems is still a little dumb to me. I thought we were supposed to be more power efficient than x86, but now with multicore systems, I'm not so sure anymore. This also makes fragmentation crazier than before. I guess the flip side of things is that we will see Cortex A8 dropping in price to ARM11 levels of last year.

Destroyer

• Administrator
    • Hardcore forensics
Re: Tegra Quad Cores in August - Does this really matter?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 08:15:02 AM »

I have said it before, that the line between tablet and portable computer  is being blurred, it is as if some int the industry cannot compete at either end and so is trying to blur the distinction.
Personally If I am forced to carry a massive screen about , then I would go for a portable x86 processor, why  mess about?

They really need to stop screwing about, co-ordinate their offerings and then take on Apple head on instead of all this pussy footing about.

HC.

xaueious

• Special Member
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2011, 02:46:37 PM »
I haven't seen the Xoom live yet, but the idea that it is being blurred isn't a bad thing, because the PC is getting out of sync with the times.

I wish my X200T ran Android, but I don't understand why Intel is not making a significant push towards this. Meego is a failure, so why bother? Their hardware and SoC is better, but their software is clearly behind the times with Windows being way behind the wave of user-friendly devices with rip off and slow hardware. None of this crap is even modular. This industry is raking in cash with these unupgradable, non-modular, and quickly outdated pieces of hardware.

Destroyer

• Administrator
    • Hardcore forensics
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 10:24:54 AM »
HI,
It is only un-upgradable and non-modular because that is what the customer will tolerate, manufacturers make products that will sell to the most number of people, which is why Open Hardware & software is so popular, unfortunately some people just cannot help subverting the 'open' model, because of their own greed and shortsightedness.

HC