Author Topic: 30-Pin Socket Reliability  (Read 1888 times)

xaueious

• Special Member
30-Pin Socket Reliability
« on: January 30, 2011, 04:27:28 AM »
I think the socket is a potential area of concern, particularily when a 30-pin connector is inserted and then pushed downwards.

It is held down mainly by solder. I don't think it can take many cycles of the user plugging the cable in and out.

Maybe some glue would help? Manufacturer should have added plastic bits to hold the socket down and to prevent the socket from shifting from side the side?

Destroyer

• Administrator
    • Hardcore forensics
Re: 30-Pin Socket Reliability
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2011, 06:28:07 AM »
I think the socket is a potential area of concern, particularily when a 30-pin connector is inserted and then pushed downwards.

It is held down mainly by solder. I don't think it can take many cycles of the user plugging the cable in and out.

Maybe some glue would help? Manufacturer should have added plastic bits to hold the socket down and to prevent the socket from shifting from side the side?

the socket is not the issue, they are specifically engineered to take a set number of insertions, the issue is poor usage of the socket.
Specifically the position of the mounting pillars, case plastic and general lack of support. Glue is not an engineering solution in this situation.