Author Topic: ubuntu 10.04 runs on aPad  (Read 13087 times)

oxyde

Re: ubuntu 10.04 runs on aPad
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2011, 02:27:27 PM »
I understand from what you have said there is somewhere i can find the source for the Apad A8, or at least someone managed to have the source in hand. That would be cool, as I have digging the imx-android-r10 release from the Freescale site and found some good evidences that is does feature the GL ES 2.0 (mentioned in the Release Notes as tested).

Unfortunatelly, I'm yet to have my Apad A8 modded with the serial port, and I don't know if I can just use the r10 source from Freescale to build a firmware to the pad WITHOUT modding the source itself. As you told, Linux is just robust enough to deal with most errors alone.

For most I have seen on the forum I thought all the kernel modding and installation (both Android and Ubuntu) was done with the Freescale bbg board sources available in the company's site. Only now I'd realized there is some work done with proper Apad A8 original source code. Is there any information about where can I find it?

I'm still a bit pissed off for having a quite powerful machine at hand and not being able to use all it's graphics power due to the lack of support by the firmware. As far as I know, it can rival most of the more powerful handsets available today. If i can do something to fix that I'm gonna give it a try.

Destroyer

• Administrator
    • Hardcore forensics
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2011, 11:24:08 AM »
Hi,
Sorry for the really late reply.. you can thank PCCW.....
The maker of the tablet actually used the default kernel, with the free-scale patches applied, but then went in and bitch-slapped the source with private modifications, as a result it is unlikely that you will get 'exactly' the same build by DIY, unless the manufacturer shares two things:
1. The kernel build config file.
2. A GIT of the modifications they made.(unlikely.. I know them & they will not even let me get it)

The iMX515 is quite a powerful processor and still has some unused features to keep tablet manufacturers happy , at the price break it is aimed at.

Note that the Graphics core is not directly part of the kernel , and it is possible to download the GPU code from freescale compile and replace the binary image of the patch file (the graphics section is configured separately ), it is done this way because some of the code is proprietary to freescale and the GPU support, the same for the Atheros wireless chip.

HC

oxyde

« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2011, 11:36:58 PM »
Ok, I've managed to get the OpenGL ES 2.0 running in the tablet, as I mentioned in the Gingerbread installation thread http://hardcoreforensics.com/wp/forum/index.php?topic=121.0.

I did it thanks to your tutorial in http://hardcoreforensics.com/wp/forum/index.php?topic=20.0, along with some material about mkimage.

What I have done is to get the drivers from the Android 9.2 rom images in the source files from Freescale and change init.freescale.rc in the root of the filesystem acordling.

I kept myself from putting here a short tutorial as I've seen some very interesting developments in the Gingerbread (Android r10 source) front, which I think will superseed my own customizations.

For the sake of history, my theory is that the manufacturer actually have used the source code for the Android r7 (now obsolete and not in the Freescale site anymore), as it's release notes advise about the support limited to OpenGL ES CM 1.1. Support to GL ES 2.0 has arrived only with r8.

Android r10 has, in it's system.img rom, some newer OpenGL ES drivers, and these must be even better than the ones in the 9.2 source. So I'll joint the effort to make it fully functional on Apad as soon as I can.

Anyway, tell me if you think to make a tutorial of what I did with r9.2 drivers is still appropriated.

Destroyer

• Administrator
    • Hardcore forensics
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2011, 10:49:15 AM »
Hi,
Yes I will be doing a step by step tutorial after the tear-down of the Utopia A10 (just waiting on my internet connection to be fixed)

HC

stef07

« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2011, 10:33:00 AM »
What about a little tutorial?
I would like to try the installation but I donìt know from where to start..

Destroyer

• Administrator
    • Hardcore forensics
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2011, 03:32:21 AM »
A tear down,
is not something that should be undertaken lightly, the forums are littered with sad and woeful tales of dead tablets,users and pet dogs
 and this is all the result of  tear downs that have gone badly wrong.
Be aware that getting spares for these tablets is a n expensive and time consuming process (if you ever get a reply back from the seller)
Also be aware that the replacement software "images" are in many cases  buggy and still under development, not to mention that replacement 'virgin'  SDcard images are also hard to come by.

HC

tozetd

« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2011, 10:32:00 AM »
Hi All,

I have sucesfully installed lucid lucid_1108.tar.gz / ubuntu 10.11 on imx515 8 inch apad,just register to freescale,go to https://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/prod_summary.jsp?code=MCIMX51EVKJ&fpsp=1&tab=Design_Tools_Tab, and follow instruction on bundle doc for linux build. But i have a problem, video and usb hub seem a problem. Display was splitted, i think it because lucid FSL release is for IMX515 EVK. and usb hub is not detected, so i can't connect to usb mouse / keyboard. i just can access apad imx515 by terminal.

can anyone give me a tutorial how to setting up display in ubuntu, iam really new in linux.

Thanks.

Destroyer

• Administrator
    • Hardcore forensics
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2011, 02:54:42 AM »

A split display may indicate, that you have incorrect video settings for the LCD.
HC.

tozetd

« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2011, 10:56:24 PM »
Yep, Thnks

I have solve it now, with adjusting setting on u-boot environment tobe :

bootargs_mmc=setenv bootargs ${bootargs} root=/dev/mmcblk0p1 rootwait rw
bootcmd_mmc=run bootargs_base bootargs_mmc;mmc read 0 ${loadaddr} 0x800 0x1800;bootm
bootcmd=run bootcmd_mmc
bootargs_base=setenv bootargs console=tty1 video=mxcdi1fb:800x600M-16@60 di1_primary

Now i struggling howto make usb hub working, as now my ubuntu-apad just can accesed by ttymxc0 (usb hub cannot access usb keyboard and mouse, and on boot process seem usb hub working very shortly, indicated by flasing on usb mouse)

if anyone (and if there is possible) how to extracting driver for USB hub on official linux froyo 2.2, it really can make world better  ;D

Just FYI, inside apad iMx515 (it think people whose had hacked apad see this) :
SC/GTL50/800  SGTL5000                    Audio Codec
MCIMX515DJM8C                                 The Brain
MC13892JVL                                        The Kitchen
MMA7660                                             The ....
AR6102G-BM2D                                   
NT5TU64M16GG-AC               
USB2514B                                            Thats one i am looking for how to make U activated (4 Port USB Hub)
BT425183S KD12 2000mAh
ETRONTECH eSP258E                           USB Camera
HLY080MI                                              24 Bit VGA Panel

I thinks the design is referenced by IMx515 Evaluation Kit, but to get cheapest solution, some module are changed..

And now, i try to Re-soldering MCIMX515DJM8C to get and route external expansion IO, So TVOUT, HDMI OUT, JTAG, SATA,Ethernet can be played out... i really Miss that   :o