Author Topic: Couple of starter pictures  (Read 3482 times)

Destroyer

• Administrator
    • Hardcore forensics
Couple of starter pictures
« on: May 06, 2011, 09:27:47 AM »

This is a picture of the new SaTA connector as found inside the G10/A10

We can also see below this part of the Main CPU board, and to the left a 'proper' external SD card socket, the sort that does not induce broken fingernails when attempting to extract  an inserted SD Card.

There is also a reduction in the number of PCB's needed  and as a result the number of 'flakey'  ribbon connectors has been reduced to a minimum, this was one of the main causes of defective product on the old A8 model, specifically because shipping caused the battery to move and the connectors were taped to the battery.

Here we can see the  tablet connected to a HDMI flatscreen device:

Unfortunately for some reason the device is not displaying the screen results: looks like we may need a new cable.

donaldson

Re: Couple of starter pictures
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 04:00:24 PM »
Actually that connector looks like a pci express mini card connector. Look here: http://pinoutsguide.com/Slots/mini_pcie_pinout.shtml. We're looking down on the odd number pins... 1- 51.

It's probably for the 3g card. Looking at the traces, it looks like the pci interface is not connected (pins 23 and 25, pins 31 & 33). Makes sense as most 3G cards are USB anways. But it does limit the otherwise usefulness of the connector.

Destroyer

• Administrator
    • Hardcore forensics
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2011, 01:31:27 PM »
I stand corrected....
in my defense I was a bit tanked up....., because I even missed the expansion card slot to the left of it, the actual used SD Card slot is on the underside of the PCB.
Incidentally this larger card slot has a plastic adaptor fitted into it  so that nothing can be inserted  externally, after removing the additional plastic blocking plate, this secondary card slot appears to be available.
HC
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 01:33:27 PM by Admin »

Destroyer

• Administrator
    • Hardcore forensics
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2011, 01:38:29 PM »
I also got to the bottom of why the USB connection does not work on my tablet, it may also explain why the HDMI does not work.
The PCB that holds the  expansion connectors, appears to have a broken USB socket, the end pin related to power  is shorted to the pin next to it, so I'm going to attempt a repair, but usually with this sort of connector they lift the PCB tracks, mainly because they require so much heat to be put into the connector lead frame before the defective connector can be lifted.

HC

donaldson

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2011, 10:45:12 PM »
Nothing wrong with tanked up... :)

The slot to the left isn't for a SIM card? Thought it might be. It appears that the traces lead to the PCI-e connector.

Destroyer

• Administrator
    • Hardcore forensics
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2011, 08:27:47 AM »
Well spotted.... glad someone is paying attention
Yep by expansion card again I should have stated what type of expansion card, but to be honest I was saving it for a future post, my first task is/was to fix the broken USB connector so that I could get into  ADB and upgrade the OS to Android 2.3

The card slot does indeed take a phone sim card, as to if the internal OS can actually use it & if there is no malware in the system to extract information, is another matter.

I'm not having much luck with computer stuff this week..... One of my mac computers keep shutting down within 2 minutes of starting up, not even enough time to boot the diagnostic CD.

HC